Sunday, February 15, 2009

Eggs are Eggcellent!

Question: I've heard you should avoid eating egg yolks because they are bad for you, but a friend at work told me that isn't true. Which of us is right?

Answer: Well, it depends on what you mean by "bad." For starters, I'm a firm believer that there really is no such thing as "bad" food. Pretty much everything can serve a purpose of some sort. Eggs are a fabulous source of approximately 13 essential nutrients and many of these nutrients (such as choline, folate, lutein and Vitamin D) are found almost exclusively in the yolk. In fact almost half of the protein of an egg is also found in the yolk. However, most of the fat, calories and cholesterol that are in an egg are also found in the yolk. An egg contains 212mg of cholesterol and ALL of this is contained within the yolk. Admittedly, however, despite countless studies, I am unaware of any actual research that links eggs to heart disease. I'll cut to the chase and tell you what I do: At all times, I keep a carton of eggs as well as a carton of Egg Beaters (or Better'n'Eggs or the Store brand version) in my refrigerator. I use them both and I use them both equally. I think the liquid eggs (which are made up of mostly egg white) are great for recipes and scrambled eggs -- healthy and CONVENIENT. But eggs are great and necessarily for boiled eggs, egg salad, poached eggs, etc. So, Happy Egg Eating..... no matter what part of the egg you choose to consume!

2 comments:

SKIPR said...

I am loving this blog. Thank you for being so generous with your time and knowledge!!

Maret said...

Kerry, in my nutrition class, I learned about "complete proteins" and supposedly bread by itself is incomplete, but a complete protein if you eat it with PB. Is this the case for the egg? Is the white an incomplete protein without the yolk?